Sunday, December 7, 2014

Top 5 Movie Inside Jokes

5 Movie Inside jokes

So, I think inside joke is the proper term here. These are five moments that made me laugh at how genius they are. They all involve something carrying over from one film to another. If you haven't seen both it's almost impossible to understand, but when you do find and get one, it's a awesome feeling. And, real quick, there is a TV show entry on here. I couldn't resist, seeing as it is my favorite show and one of my favorite movies that have the inside joke, so forgive me.



5. Lethal Weapon (1987) and Maverick (1994)
Alright, so this is a very well known one, but the reason it is one here is I found this one without having seen Lethal Weapon at the time, and was quite impressed with myself at the time. The joke involves Mel Gibson and Danny Glover as partners in the Lethal Weapon series, then Mel Gibson in a Bank in Maverick that is held up by Danny Glover. They look at each other curiously for a moment, as if they recognized each other, then dismiss the thought. I'm still very proud of finding this one by myself.



4. Trading Places (1983) and Coming to America (1988)
In Trading Places the Duke brothers are a couple of rich assholes who turn Dan Aykroyd into a poor fellow and Eddie Murphy into a rich one in a bet for $1. Then the Duke brothers screw both over. Then Dan Aykroyd and Eddie Murphy screw the Duke Brothers over and turn both into poor people. In Coming to America, Eddie Murphy is walking and gives two homeless men a big clip of money, those two men, are the Duke Brothers. They exclaim "We're back in business" with evil smiles on their faces.



3. Pulp Fiction (1994) and Die Hard: With a Vengeance (1995)
In Pulp Fiction after Bruce Willis gets his watch, he starts to sing along with the radio and sings:
"smoking cigarettes and watching captain kangaroo"
Then, in Die Hard 3 Bruce Willis explains what he has been doing while on leave as:
"smoking cigarettes and watching captain kangaroo"
It took me a surprisingly long while to find this one and make the connection, for these were two of the movies I never stopped watching a couple years ago. When I finally did make the connection, I thought it was the smartest thing ever. This was the first inside joke I ever found in a pair of films, and it is one of the funniest.



2. Django (1966) and Django Unchained (2012)
  Another really well known one, Franco Nero played Django in the 1966 version. In 2012s humongously popular Django Unchained Jamie Foxx plays Django. In Django Unchained, after we witness the first mandingo fight, the two sit a bar together. Franco Nero asks who Foxx is and how he spells his name. When Jamie Foxx says:
"D-j-a-n-g-o, the D is silent."
Franco Nero responds with:
"I know." And walks out of the room.


1. Goodfellas (1990) and The Sopranos (1999)
My favorite on the list, in Goodfellas, Michael Imperioli plays Spider, a bartender for the goodfellas. Spider gets shot in the foot by Joe Pesci for not bringing him a drink. Then, in The Sopranos episode The Legend of Tennessee Moltisanti, Michael Imperioli is standing in line at a pastry store and keeps getting ignored on purpose and eventually gets pissed off. He closes the store and shoots the guy behind the counter in the foot, the man shouts:
"You motherfucker! You shot my foot!"
Walking towards the door, Michael Imperioli tells him:
"It happens."


If I missed a really good one, or your favorite inside joke in films, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment