Monday, May 12, 2014

Top 10 Favorite Best Actor Oscar Winners of All Time

Top 10 Favorite Best Actor Oscar Winners

When reading this post keep in mind that these are my personal favorite Best Actor Oscar Winners, not necessarily the best. If it were a best list it would probably be a little different. Also I haven't quite seen all movies to which the academy gave a Best Actor award, for instance, I haven't seen On the Waterfront. So Marlon Brando from that movie will not be on here. Anyway these are my favorite, if you have some favorites that I missed or needed let me know.


#10. Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Jack Nicholson just plays these crazy roles a little too well. It almost always seems like he belongs in a mental institution.He was the perfect choice for this role in this movie, no one can play a crazy quite like Jack Nicholson. This performance probably helped him get his role in the Shining, it really shows how crazy Jack can be. There is just something perfect about Jack in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, how he interacts with everyone, or the crazy little quirks he has, I may never find out what makes it so perfect, all I know is that it is.

#9. Denzel Washington in Training Day (2001) 
As soon as Denzel Washington hit the screen in that diner scene, I was hooked with his performance. Him talking about the newspaper "It's 90% bullshit, but it's entertaining. That's why I read it, it entertains me." I don't know how many times I have recited that when talking about newspapers, which oddly comes up rather often. It is a little sad that probably the only reason he won is because he lost in 1999, which he deserved more. Anyway Denzel Washington kills it as a detective that muddles the line between cop and criminal. 


#8. Russell Crowe in Gladiator (2000)
Out of the three nominations Russell Crowe has received this is definitely the one he should have won for. He owns this role, I cannot think of anyone who could have done as good a job as Maximus as Russell Crowe. There are a lot of people that I know who do not like this movie or Russell Crowe in it, I just can't understand it though. Between the battle scenes and the cool and quiet manner in which Maximus handles basically everything, Russell Crowe was the best choice for Gladiator.


#7. Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
Should he have won over Peter O'Toole? Maybe not, but he does give one killer performance. This is, in my opinion, the best movie that analyzes racism in America ever made, not only the movie, but the book it was based on is also the best of its medium that studies racism in America. All around this story is amazing and Gregory Peck was the perfect choice for Atticus Finch. Honestly think of one other person that could have played Atticus and beat Peter O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia, yeah that's right can't think of one.


#6. Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump (1994)
Have to love Forrest Gump, it's almost impossible not to. He is just so likable. Tom Hanks's second win in a row was this and was completely deserved. Even though I like both The Shawshank Redemption, and Pulp Fiction more, this was the best performance in the Best Actor category. My favorite thing about Forrest Gump is that he just ends up in so many famous and historical moments, and most of them somehow on accident. Just a actor and a performance that were meant for eachother.


#5. Michael Douglas in Wall Street (1987)
Michael Douglas's best performance and one of my favorite movie characters of all time, Gordon Gekko is such a despicable person but so much fun to watch. Michael Douglas's Gordon Gekko makes it seem as if the financial world of Wall Street is just as dangerous as Vietnam in Platoon, and that shouldn't be easy, but it just works so well. If you need any more proof that this performance deserves to be on here, check out the best business speech in movies here


#4. Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Oh my what can I say about this that hasn't been said before. This is one of the greatest villains ever put to screen, Anthony Hopkins steals the show in every scene he is in, yeah you've heard this all before. Really no need for explanation why this is one of the best, and Anthony Hopkins has never been as good as he was in Silence of the Lambs.



#3. Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will be Blood (2007)
This isn't just Daniel Day-Lewis's best performance, this is among the greatest performances ever given. I do believe that this movie will eventually become known as one of, if not the greatest movie of the early 21st century, and a lot of that is because of Daniel Day-Lewis's absolutely brilliant job as the vile Daniel Plainview. Daniel Plainview is maybe the most unlikable character in recent movie history but yet is so good it is impossible not to watch and be amazed with Daniel Day-Lewis.


#2. Marlon Brando in The Godfather (1972)
Yes I know, it is cliche that this is one of the best and one of everyones favorite, but hey, it deserves it. And really, need I say more than just mention Marlon Brando in what is probably the greatest movie of all time, as one of my favorites, no.


#1. Robert De Niro in Raging Bull (1980)
Quite possibly the greatest performance ever given, Robert De Niro tears up the screen as destructive boxer Jake La Motta. One of the greatest movies ever created and by far the greatest boxing movie ever made, Raging Bull is an amazing piece of art that should have won Best Picture in 1981 but somehow lost to Ordinary People. At least Robert De Niro won for his portrayal of the the real life boxer who couldn't control his rage in and out of the ring, and it was completely deserved. Overall this is my favorite Best Actor Oscar winner and one of my absolute favorite performances of all time.

Alright, so those are my ten favorite, again if I missed or you think it should be different let me know! Hope you enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment